There is a separate “ordinary” message for this week to the Diocese.
Here, in this message, I write about life again in Alert Level 2 with the uncertainty about “what next” which naturally flows from the Prime Minister’s announcement last night (and further information this morning).
- While we are in Level 2 the guidelines previously published in May should be freshly applied (e.g. to mid-week communions, funerals, Mainly Music) – these guidelines, updated to 12 August are available here.
- Unless otherwise advised by the Prime Minister, we are in Level 1 this Sunday. I encourage clergy to use discretion and good sense about being in Level 1 this Sunday:
- Respecting feeling in our local contexts may mean, for instance, that ministry units have communion in one kind only; and go without morning tea!
- We encourage the use of the COVID 19 tracer app and QR codes well positioned in our churches/halls.
- If, at short notice, say on Saturday, the Alert level for Sunday shifts from 1 to 2 and there are baptisms planned, I suggest they go ahead providing clergy and the families of those to be baptised are comfortable. However if the shift is to Level 3 then we are in a much more stringent situation and baptisms should be postponed.
- Pre Synod meetings: we will go ahead with meetings planned for this evening at Avonhead and for tomorrow evening at Amberley, since neither meeting should breach the 100 limit. We are already aware that people are planning to not attend either physical meeting and instead to join the Friday morning Zoom pre Synod meeting at 10 am. (This meeting will be recorded for those unable to join it).
- Synod itself: we will be working on an “alternative Zoom programme (including Synod service)” for Synod should we not be able to proceed with the physical meeting of Synod, so keep Synod dates in your diary.
- Saturday’s EOLC panel in the Transitional Cathedral: The event will be livestreamed via the Cathedral’s Facebook page and YouTube channel, and a recording will be available from these platforms soon afterwards. If you plan to attend in person, you MUST register in advance at https://www.eventbrite.co.nz/e/end-of-life-choice-act-seminar-in-the-transitional-cathedral-tickets-116679829511. There is no cost to register but having your contact details on file is important. Please also check in using the Government’s COVID Tracer App when you arrive. Arrive in plenty of time to be seated by 9:45am as due to social distancing it might take a while to get everybody in their seats. You are very welcome to wear a mask and please follow all basic precautions like good hand hygiene and staying away if you’re feeling unwell.
- Wash hands, use the app, get a supply of facemasks for you and your family!